Paris Agreement work programme
Draft conclusions proposed by the Co-Chairs
1. The Ad Hoc Working Group on the Paris Agreement (APA) took note of the further progress made at APA 1.6, aiming to complete its work on the Paris Agreement work programme (PAWP) in a timely manner and to forward the outcomes to the Conference of the Parties (COP) at its twenty-fourth session (December 2018) at the latest.
2. The APA requested the secretariat to update, on the basis of the outcomes of this session (see the annex), the online platform referred to in paragraph 3 of decision 1/CP.23, which provides an overview of the work of the COP and the subsidiary and constituted bodies on the PAWP. The APA agreed that the progress achieved at this session provides a useful basis for further negotiations by Parties on PAWP matters and their successful completion at COP 24.
3. The APA agreed that the presiding officers of the APA, the Subsidiary Body for
Scientific and Technological Advice (SBSTA) and the Subsidiary Body for Implementation
(SBI) should prepare a joint reflections note addressing progress made to date and identifying ways forward, including textual proposals that would be helpful for advancing Parties’ deliberations. The purpose of doing so would be to address all PAWP matters so as to ensure their balanced and coordinated consideration by the APA, the SBSTA and the SBI, and to facilitate successful completion of the PAWP at COP 24. To that end, the APA requested its Co-Chairs to work closely with the other presiding officers on such a note and to release it by mid-October 2018.
The Bangkok outcome
- This annex provides references to the outcomes of the work of the Ad Hoc Working Group on the Paris Agreement (APA) at the sixth part of its first session and the Subsidiary Body for Scientific and Technological Advice (SBSTA) and the Subsidiary Body for Implementation (SBI) at the second part of their forty-eighth sessions, held in Bangkok from 4 to 9 September 2018. The outcomes are structured in accordance with annex I to decision 1/CP.23, consistently with the agenda items that were taken up by the subsidiary bodies at these sessions.
- In addition to the outcomes of the negotiations on the individual agenda items listed below, a compilation of all such outcomes is available on the UNFCCC website at https://unfccc.int/node/28798/ (version of 9 September 2018).